Do I need to charge clients HST when freelancing?

2 replies [Last post]
Anonymous's picture

I'm in college and started doing some design work for some friends and family to earn a little extra for Christmas. Do I need to be charging them taxes and paying the government taxes? How does it work now with HST?

I just don't want to get myself into trouble or make things difficult down the road if I don't do the right thing early on.

bethlin0d's picture
Joined: Feb 2 2011
An interesting dialogue

An interesting dialogue is value comment. I think that you must write more on this topic, it may not be a taboo subject but usually individuals are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers.

Lauren's picture
Joined: Nov 2 2010

Thanks for a great question, Stonewall. HST is often confusing and I hope this answer will help you with your confusion. If you are a GST/HST registrant, you have to charge and collect the GST/HST on taxable supplies (other than zero-rated supplies) you make in Canada and file regular GST/HST returns to report that tax. However, you are not required to register if you are considered a small supplier - there are several conditions, but the the one condition you would most likely fall under is this one:
you are a sole proprietor and your total revenues from taxable supplies (before expenses) from all of your businesses are $30,000.00 or less in the last four consecutive calendar quarters or in any single calendar quarter. Therefore, in short, once you reach $7,500.00 in sales in 3 months, you must register and collect HST - once a registrant you may also claim the HST you have paid on supplies and expenses in order to earn your sales. The link for the pdf file for General Information for GST/HST Registrants is: